The National Credit Union
Administration granted the Washington County Postal Federal Credit Union
charter number 13100 on July 1, 1959. The original founders were
Jack M. Mcvehil, James G. Plants, Robert E. Campbell, Joseph F. Lonsway,
Leo A. Maloney, Elmer C. Jones and Thomas L. Asbury. The field of
membership included postal employees working in Washington County
Pennsylvania and their immediate families, residing in the same household
and organizations of such persons. Postal employees of the Belle
Vernon and Monessen post offices were added later.
The credit union is federally chartered, regulated and insured by the
National Credit Union
Administration (NCUA), an agency of the U.S. government.
Member accounts are insured in an aggregate of $250,000. Member Individual
Retirement Accounts (IRA’s) are insured separately to an additional
$250,000. NCUA is one of the strongest of the federal insurance funds and
issues strict operating guidelines for the credit unions it regulates.